German general takes over NATO peacekeeping force
CNN.com news - Oct. 8, 1999
(some notes from the article)
German General Klaus Reinhard takes command of the 40,000 member NATO force on Friday.
- Assumes the reins from British Lt. Gen. Mike Jackson.
- The transfer is part of a regular rotation.
General Klaus Reinhardt
- "I'm here to help in Kosovo ... to rebuild for a better future and this is the mission I have."
- Studied history & political science at Freiburg University in southern Germany. Doctorate of philosophy, 1972.
- Speaks fluent English.
- Participated in the U.S. Military Command and General Staff Officer course at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in 1975.
- Has been commander of Allied Land Forces Central Europe in Heidelberg since April 1998.